2. Gluten-free diets were the big weight-loss fad of 2012.
No one goes around bragging about being on Atkins and gloating about having had bacon eight times in a week while still losing weight these days. Now everyone’s all about gluten-free (and green juice, but that’s a whole other thing). You can now buy all kinds of processed foods that normally contain gluten without gluten thanks to the proliferation of gluten-free eating plans. But remember that gluten-free processed foods are still processed foods and therefore usually not any better for you than their gluten-containing counterparts.
3. The 1% of the population that has celiac disease really needs to cut gluten from their diets.
People with celiac disease experience a host of uncomfortable gastrointestinal issues caused by adverse reactions to gluten in the small intestine. Prescribed gluten-free eating plans are not glamourous for people suffering from celiac disease.
4. But ANOTHER 1% of the population — select celebrities! — are going gluten-free for what seems like purely self-indulgent glamour.
Because when you go gluten-free you can’t have cake, cookies, bread, pasta. In other words, you go LOW-CARB, which makes you skinny. Miley Cyrus, Victoria Beckham, and Gwyneth Paltrow are all about the gluten-free life, according to the Daily Mail, which helpfully cautions that you can still go gluten-free and end up consuming a ton of calories. Like Atkins!
5. Many people believe cutting gluten will improve their skin.
Miley once tweeted: “For everyone calling me anorexic, I have a gluten and lactose allergy. It’s not about weight it’s about health. Gluten is cr@pppp anyway!” And: “Everyone should try no gluten for a week. The change in your skin, physical and mental health is amazing.” People with gluten allergies might develop an acne-like rash on the skin; however, no studies have shown a link between gluten and acne in people whose bodies can tolerate gluten just fine.
6. Naturally, gluten-shunning has spread to Pinterest.
…where you’ll find recipes for everything from gluten-free pimento mac ‘n’ cheese to gluten-free donuts, pancakes, and every other baked good this planet ever came up with.
- Over two dozen people were injured after a truck crashed into a crowd at a Mardi Gras parade, New Orleans police said.
- President Trump said he will skip the White House correspondents' dinner. On Friday, he called the media "the enemy of the people."
- Moderate to severe coral bleaching continues to affect the Great Barrier Reef almost a year after the worst bleaching crisis in history.
- Here's the beef: Rapper Remy Ma dragged Nicki Minaj in a new diss track, and she fired back with a Beyoncé endorsement 😱