1. Rather than a couture designer creation, Helen Hunt wore a navy blue dress by H&M to the Academy Awards.
“H&M has designed a special gown to match the beauty and the talent of Helen Hunt,” the brand announced in a press release. “The couture midnightblue full length gown is silk satin and strapless, and was made specially for the Oscar occasion.”
This is huge for H&M, which has earned considerable fashion cred for its high-fashion designer collaborations over the past several years. It’s also a shrewd move for Hunt, who heightens her relatability by wearing a dress by a brand average women shop at — something that’s been instrumental in the Michelle Obama and Kate Middleton’s image molding.
Hunt’s gown is custom — no word on H&M having plans to sell it in stores. With so many awkward dresses on this carpet they certainly win points for making something classic and appealing.
- Bomb threats were called into Jewish centers in at least 13 states today, making it the fifth wave of threats since January.
- The suspect in a Kansas shooting that left an Indian man dead thought he was shooting Iranians, and the FBI is investigating as a possible hate crime.
- The House Intelligence chairman denied that his call to a reporter at the behest of the White House would influence the probe of Trump and Russia.
- "Moonlight" won Best Picture at the Oscars, but they accidentally gave it to "La La Land" first 😳