1. Rather than a couture designer creation, Helen Hunt wore a navy blue dress by H&M to the Academy Awards.
“H&M has designed a special gown to match the beauty and the talent of Helen Hunt,” the brand announced in a press release. “The couture midnightblue full length gown is silk satin and strapless, and was made specially for the Oscar occasion.”
This is huge for H&M, which has earned considerable fashion cred for its high-fashion designer collaborations over the past several years. It’s also a shrewd move for Hunt, who heightens her relatability by wearing a dress by a brand average women shop at — something that’s been instrumental in the Michelle Obama and Kate Middleton’s image molding.
Hunt’s gown is custom — no word on H&M having plans to sell it in stores. With so many awkward dresses on this carpet they certainly win points for making something classic and appealing.
- Donald Trump criticized NATO, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, and the European Union in an interview published Sunday.
- BuzzFeed News spent two months mapping Trump's personal and business connections — and found more than 1,500 in all.
- Eight billionaires — all men — together own as much wealth as the world's poorest 3.7 billion people, a new report has revealed.
- There's a new HBO show called "The Young Pope" and the internet is having fun with it.