Resort or "cruise" (because every rich person still takes those still) collections come out between the major spring and fall fashion weeks. Most designers just release images of their new lines rather than holding a show, probably because the fuss of two shows a year is enough. Besides, it would just be cruel at this point to force everyone to put together a whole other set of street style outfits for resort shows. Anyway, Kanye West's favorite designer Riccardo Tisci, who makes those famous leather kilts and Kim Kardashian's couch costumes, just put out his resort collection, and commenters on the Fashion Spot — some of the most fashion-obsessed people on this earth, even more so than Kanye West — have taken a click through the Style.com slideshow and decided the clothes are "awful."
Editors over at the Fashion Spot published a post summarizing the comments that would read as a nasty critique of the collection without the agreement of TFS editor Pilar Meier, who writes: "It seems as though tFS forum members are growing tired of Riccardo Tisci's celebrity and street style-centric collections and I can't blame them." Most people wouldn't dare trash an Important Label like Givenchy, but maybe now that Kouchdashian has come and (almost) gone it's less of a scary thing to do?
Here are some comments from the forum on Givenchy's new resort collection along with some key looks from the line. (All comments sic.)
1. "is this supposed to look more flattering with that background? well, it really does not...."
2. "This collection is just so confusing. I feel like he just spitballed wads of paper onto a board filled with vaguely popular themes and patterns from his past couple collections and stuck them together with ABC gum and created this mess."
3. "What is going on with those florals. Did he wants to make everybody looks like a pregnant Kim K or what."
4. "Getting very disappointed with Riccardo."
5. "Ughhh, what a Hideous collection, Ricardo has become the biggest one trick pony in the business. And it looks like Pre-fall."
6. "Recycling silhouette, fabrics and prints... again..."
7. "Holy unflattering hell. This is even more unflattering than the fall collection, i didn't think that would be possible. What a mess."
8. "*sigh* This is just awful. From the prints to the unflattering shapes. Just awful."
9. "Those maxi trousers are the vilest things I've seen in a while."
10. "well, it's a hell of a lot better than the fall collection."
Contrast those critiques with this one by a professional fashion critic.
"Riccardo Tisci had the show of his career in March," writes Nicole Phelps on Style.com. "It's no wonder his Resort collection had such an upbeat, optimistic feel." For the record, she thought the white looks were "gorgeous."