1. The first St. Patrick's Day parade wasn't held in Ireland
2. In fact, St. Patrick himself might not have been Irish
3. St. Patrick's Day wasn't always associated with green
4. St. Patrick's original name wasn't even Patrick
5. All the pubs in Ireland used to close on St. Patrick's Day
6. Around 13 million pints of Guinness are estimated to be sold worldwide on March 17th
7. The Irish president gives POTUS a crystal bowl of shamrocks every year...
8. ...and the Secret Service destroys it immediately afterward.
9. JFK once totally forgot about St. Patrick's day (while he was president)
10. The world's largest permanent shamrock is in Nebraska
11. St. Patrick is credited with driving all the snakes out of Ireland...
12. ...But that couldn't have been too hard, because snakes never lived on the island!
13. St. Patrick's Day is a national holiday in the Caribbean, too
14. Shamrocks are an official symbol of St. Patrick, but not of Ireland
15. The Chicago river is turned green every St. Patrick's Day
16. And finally, the world's shortest St. Patrick's Day parade takes about 30 seconds to walk
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!