We recently asked makeup artists in the BuzzFeed Community to share their best makeup advice with us. Here's what they had to say:
1. A lot of the value in mascara comes from the brush. If you find a brush that works for your lashes, save it and clean it after you finish the mascara it came with. You might be able to then buy a cheaper mascara and replace its brush with your salvaged brush to make it work for you!
2. Take a drop of primer oil (or coconut oil to save money) and add it to a matte full-coverage concealer to make it more radiant, easier to blend, and look more like skin without messing with the coverage.
3. To tame full eyebrows, spray hairspray on a clean, disposable mascara wand and brush your brows up, then into the shape you want.
4. If you have oily skin, use a water-based foundation. If you have dry skin, use an oil-based one.
5. Always wet your brush before applying highlighter for more glow.
6. Do not use your fingers when applying primer because it can cause micro exfoliation, which causes clumps.
7. If anyone tells you that you need a lip liner with your liquid matte lipstick, they’re a liar.
8. If you're doing a full face, but keeping your eyes bare, put some of your matte bronzer in your eyelid crease and lower lash line. It'll help make your eyes look bigger.
9. Never use face soap with sodium laureth sulfate.
10. For people with fine lines around and on your eyelids, stick to matte eyeshadows and powders.
11. Prime your eyelids and let them dry before applying eyeshadow.
12. Do your eye makeup before your foundation. You can wipe away eyeshadow fallout easier and you can clean up your eyeliner.
13. Before you use a matte liquid lipstick, you should always exfoliate and prime your lips with a serum.
14. Use eyeshadow primer – like Too Faced Shadow Insurance – on the lash line, then sweep eyeshadow with a fine liner brush on top to create smudge-proof eyeliner.
15. Use scotch tape angled from your eye to eyebrow for crisp and clean eyeshadow lines and a liquid eyeliner wing.
16. Or you can fold a cotton pad in half for a straight cat eye line.
17. If you accidentally get mascara around your eyes, LET THAT SHIT DRY!
18. Never share makeup brushes and always wash them.
19. Tarte’s Timeless Smoothing Primer is an absolute must when it comes to a good makeup application.
20. Imagine a line from the outer corner of your eye to the tip of your brow, this is where your eyeshadow should stop.
22. Don’t recreate the celebrities!
23. Don't sleep in your makeup!
24. And invest in good skin care products.
25. If you're doing winged eyeliner, don't start the wing from the top lash line. Use the bottom lash line for a smoother, straighter wing.
26. Never store your makeup in a restroom cabinet. Humidity alters the makeup and can cause it to go bad before its time. Also, potty germs.
27. Blend your foundation out onto your neck.
28. I see YouTubers use stark white concealers under their eyes, and it might look great on camera, but it does NOT in real life. It’ll just make your cheeks look too flushed and your under-eyes look white.
30. When it comes to eyeshadow, tap off the excess on the brush and hold the brush farther from the handle for more control.
31. Depending on your skin type, the same foundation that works for you in the summer may not work in the winter and vice versa.