In court yesterday, the self-proclaimed “America’s Toughest Sheriff” ran from his record of terrorizing immigrant communities. Gone was the swagger, and under the light of overwhelming evidence, he tried to scramble away and evade responsibility for all of it.
2) Arpaio blames his co-author, Len Sherman, for a statement in Arpaio’s book Joe’s Law. In the book, it’s written that Mexicans don’t come to the US with the same hopes and dreams as other immigrants, and that second/third generation Mexican-Americans are not part of the American “mainstream.” This was after deposition in which he said he didn’t need to read his own book because he’d written it himself
3) Asked to clarify his claim that immigrants were “dirty,” Arpaio says he only meant that immigrants who crossed the desert were dirty because of the trek
4) Apparently sick every time he takes the stand: “Arpaio took the stand shortly after 9:30 a.m. in front of a packed courtroom and complained that he was suffering from a touch of the flu.” Arpaio has come down with the same ailment in the past as he prepared to give sworn testimony
Stay tuned here for more on Arpaio as the trial develops.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Miami Marlins star pitcher José Fernández has died in a boating accident. He was 24.
- Monday night's presidential debate may be the last hope for environmental activists who want climate in the national conversation.
- Charlotte police have released video of Keith Lamont Scott's shooting and photos of a gun they say he had loaded.