In court yesterday, the self-proclaimed “America’s Toughest Sheriff” ran from his record of terrorizing immigrant communities. Gone was the swagger, and under the light of overwhelming evidence, he tried to scramble away and evade responsibility for all of it.
2) Arpaio blames his co-author, Len Sherman, for a statement in Arpaio’s book Joe’s Law. In the book, it’s written that Mexicans don’t come to the US with the same hopes and dreams as other immigrants, and that second/third generation Mexican-Americans are not part of the American “mainstream.” This was after deposition in which he said he didn’t need to read his own book because he’d written it himself
3) Asked to clarify his claim that immigrants were “dirty,” Arpaio says he only meant that immigrants who crossed the desert were dirty because of the trek
4) Apparently sick every time he takes the stand: “Arpaio took the stand shortly after 9:30 a.m. in front of a packed courtroom and complained that he was suffering from a touch of the flu.” Arpaio has come down with the same ailment in the past as he prepared to give sworn testimony
Stay tuned here for more on Arpaio as the trial develops.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Donald Trump was sworn in today as the 45th president of the United States of America. 🇺🇸
- Over 90 people have been arrested as anti-Trump protesters and police clash in Washington, DC, during the inauguration.
- As one of his first acts as president, Donald Trump announced the end of certain Obama administration climate and pollution rules.
- US officials didn't know drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán was being extradited from Mexico to the United States until the day it happened.