Olivia Rodrigo's "Drivers License" Has Really Great Lyrics
AKA all of them.
There are sleeper hits, and then there are songs that explode out of nowhere and resonate so deeply with listeners. Olivia Rodrigo's "Drivers License" clearly falls into the latter category.
So here are the best lyrics from the song (even though I'm basically going through every lyric here because this song is just that good):
1. "I got my driver's license last week just like we always talked about"
Simple in theory, but it sets the scene perfectly.
2. "'Cause you were so excited for me to finally drive up to your house"
I can almost imagine how excited she was. They used to drive around together just for fun, and now, finally, she got her license.
3. "But today I drove through the suburbs crying 'cause you weren't around"
4. "And you're probably with that blonde girl who always made me doubt"
Ooh, things just got even more interesting.
5. "She's so much older than me, she's everything I'm insecure about"
Did he leave her for some older girl? Is that what happened?!
6. "Yeah, today I drove through the suburbs 'cause how could I ever love someone else?"
Again, simple in theory, but in the context of this song, this line packs a punch.
7. "And I know we weren't perfect, but I've never felt this way for no one"
While the song has traces of the "jilted ex-lover" trope (did this person leave her for someone else??), this line focuses more on the emotions, the deep sadness of losing someone.
8. "And I just can't imagine how you could be so okay now that I'm gone"
9. "Guess you didn't mean what you wrote in that song about me"
Oof, a direct reference to her now-taken ex-lover.
10. "'Cause you said forever, now I drive alone past your street"
The angst of it all.
11. "Today I drove through the suburbs and pictured I was driving home to you"
From one self-proclaimed Swiftie to another, was this person, despite their flaws, "the 1" for her?
12. "And all my friends are tired of hearing how much I miss you"
Girl, I get it.
13. "But I kinda feel sorry for them 'cause they'll never know you the way that I do"
14. "I still see your face in the white cars, front yards, can't drive past the places we used to go to"
This person haunts her every move.
15. "I still hear your voice in the traffic, we're laughing over all the noise"
Coupled with the swelling music, this line is intense.
16. "God, I'm so blue, know we're through"
17. "Can't drive past the places we used to go to because I still fuckin' love you, babe"
This person is embedded in her every memory. She avoids places because of it.
18. "I know we weren't perfect, but I've never felt this way for no one"
19. "'Cause you said forever, now I drive alone past your street"
Imagine knowing that the person you love, the person you created all these memories with, has supposedly moved on. Then here you are driving past their street, full of longing. It's a lot.
20. "Yeah, you said forever, now I drive alone past your street"
Repetition is an important device, and here it works to cement her sadness.