1. Recently, Tokyo was chosen over Istanbul and Madrid to host to the 2020 Summer Olympics.
People were excited.
Cat ears and glow sticks in the air excited.
4. But this wasn’t the first time Tokyo was chosen to host the Summer Olympics.
Tokyo last hosted the Summer Olympics back in 1964 and there are a few things you may not know about those games.
7. 3. Sixteen nations, including twelve from Africa, participated for the first time.
These countries included the Dominican Republic, Mongolia, Nepal, Chad, and Madagascar. Libya also participated for the first time but did not compete after its sole athlete withdrew from the marathon.
11. 6. Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina won five medals, leaving her with a lifetime total of 18.
She was the most decorated Olympic athlete until American swimmer Michael Phelps surpassed her 48 years later in London 2012. Latynina still holds the record for the most individual competition medals won.
13. 8. The first official Fair Play Trophy was introduced and given to a pair of Swedish yachtsmen.
The award is given to athletes for exemplary sportsmanship during the games. Lars Gunnar Käll and Stig Lennart Käll were honored for giving up their race to aid fellow competitors whose boat had sank. Gotta love those Swedes.
15. We still have to wait seven years to see what kind of highlights will come out of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. In the meantime, get ready, get excited, and party on.
Now where did I put those cat ears…
- Donald Trump wants President Obama to be investigated, saying he knew about Hillary Clinton's private email server 📩
- Should opioid users who've repeatedly overdosed be forced to get drug treatment? Some politicians say yes.
- 🔎 Transgender rights: How the bathroom fight is dividing top LGBT leaders and could change the future of the movement.
- A dad is bringing his 6-year-old son's drawings to life with the help of Photoshop 🖊💭