Recently, Tokyo was chosen over Istanbul and Madrid to host to the 2020 Summer Olympics.
But this wasn't the first time Tokyo was chosen to host the Summer Olympics.
1. The 1964 Summer Olympics was the first to be held in Asia.
2. It was the second time Tokyo won the Olympic bid (but the first time it actually hosted)
3. Sixteen nations, including twelve from Africa, participated for the first time.
4. The torchbearer who lit the Olympic cauldron, Yoshinori Sakai, was born on August 6, 1945.
5. Judo, volleyball, and women's pentathlon all made their Olympic debuts.
6. Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina won five medals, leaving her with a lifetime total of 18.
7. Billy Mills became the only American to ever win the men's 10,000 meter run.
8. The first official Fair Play Trophy was introduced and given to a pair of Swedish yachtsmen.
9. The Tōkaidō Shinkansen bullet train opened nine days before the Olympic games began, connecting Tokyo to Nagoya and Osaka.
We still have to wait seven years to see what kind of highlights will come out of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. In the meantime, get ready, get excited, and party on.
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!