1. Recently, Tokyo was chosen over Istanbul and Madrid to host to the 2020 Summer Olympics.
People were excited.
Cat ears and glow sticks in the air excited.
4. But this wasn’t the first time Tokyo was chosen to host the Summer Olympics.
Tokyo last hosted the Summer Olympics back in 1964 and there are a few things you may not know about those games.
7. 3. Sixteen nations, including twelve from Africa, participated for the first time.
These countries included the Dominican Republic, Mongolia, Nepal, Chad, and Madagascar. Libya also participated for the first time but did not compete after its sole athlete withdrew from the marathon.
11. 6. Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina won five medals, leaving her with a lifetime total of 18.
She was the most decorated Olympic athlete until American swimmer Michael Phelps surpassed her 48 years later in London 2012. Latynina still holds the record for the most individual competition medals won.
13. 8. The first official Fair Play Trophy was introduced and given to a pair of Swedish yachtsmen.
The award is given to athletes for exemplary sportsmanship during the games. Lars Gunnar Käll and Stig Lennart Käll were honored for giving up their race to aid fellow competitors whose boat had sank. Gotta love those Swedes.
15. We still have to wait seven years to see what kind of highlights will come out of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. In the meantime, get ready, get excited, and party on.
Now where did I put those cat ears…
- President Trump laid out an ambitious agenda in his speech to Congress, but Republicans are still divided on how to pass that agenda.
- The FBI is investigating if bomb threats against Jewish centers came from an internet "troll" and are profiling a lone, young, tech-savvy person.
- Facebook is using artificial intelligence for suicide prevention, scanning feeds for signs of people at risk of self-harm, then offering resources for help.
- Uber's CEO said he's "seeking leadership help" after dash-cam footage was published of him aggressively arguing with a company driver 😳