1. So, you start chopping onions.
2. And it seems to be going really well.
3. Then, your eyes start to well.
4. YOU START TO CRY.
5. This is because syn-propanethial-S-oxide is released into the air.
We’re talkin’ lachrymatory-factor synthase enzymes…aka the I-WANT-TO-MAKE-YOU-CRY enzymes.
So, you may be asking, HOW can we stop this?
Well, there’s no particular science to it, but here are some of the myths, legends and recommendations for how to chop onions without a tear in your eye.
7. Chew gum.
8. Turn on a fan.
9. Breathe through your mouth.
10. Chop onions under running water.
11. Light a candle.
12. Wear goggles.
Contact lenses are also a great onion-tear-deterent.
13. Chill the onion in the fridge or freezer.
14. Sharpen your knives.
Fewer enzymes will escape when you exert less force on the onion.
16. And, above all else, keep your feelings out of it.
18. Share your own onion advice below!
For more exclusive tips and tricks from some of today’s top chefs, visit altaeditions.com!
- Two weeks until Nov 8, there is no shortage of election forecasts. BuzzFeed's data reporters break down what the numbers mean.
- Confused refugees question what's next as French authorities begin to clear out the Calais "Jungle" camp.
- Obamacare premiums will jump an average 25% in 2017, but federal officials say subsidies will keep costs low for most people.
- The first Gilmore Girls trailer is finally here and it looks like Luke and Lorelai are together 💛☕️