1. So, you start chopping onions.
2. And it seems to be going really well.
3. Then, your eyes start to well.
4. YOU START TO CRY.
5. This is because syn-propanethial-S-oxide is released into the air.
We’re talkin’ lachrymatory-factor synthase enzymes…aka the I-WANT-TO-MAKE-YOU-CRY enzymes.
So, you may be asking, HOW can we stop this?
Well, there’s no particular science to it, but here are some of the myths, legends and recommendations for how to chop onions without a tear in your eye.
7. Chew gum.
8. Turn on a fan.
9. Breathe through your mouth.
10. Chop onions under running water.
11. Light a candle.
12. Wear goggles.
Contact lenses are also a great onion-tear-deterent.
13. Chill the onion in the fridge or freezer.
14. Sharpen your knives.
Fewer enzymes will escape when you exert less force on the onion.
16. And, above all else, keep your feelings out of it.
18. Share your own onion advice below!
For more exclusive tips and tricks from some of today’s top chefs, visit altaeditions.com!
- Congress has voted to override President Obama's veto of a bill that'd allow families of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia.
- A teenager was taken into custody Wednesday after he shot two students and one teacher at an elementary school in South Carolina.
- Jerry Springer says Donald Trump probably wouldn't be on his show because his guests are authentic and tell the truth.