We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples, but all opinions and reviews are our own. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
All sizes are in women's sizing unless otherwise noted.
1. A long shacket ensuring your whole bod is warm and cozy, from your arms down to your calves, and that'll have you whispering "style icon" every time you slip it on (which will be very often).
Promising review: "I have noticed that these 'shackets' are in style right now, so I wanted to get one for myself. When this came in the mail, I WAS STOKED! It is very, very soft. The sleeves are definitely long enough, and it even has pockets. It does seems a little big around the mid-section area, but I think its made to be that way. If you would like it a little less baggy around the mid-section, then size down. You can dress these up or down and be absolutely comfortable either way. I am actually going back and ordering two more of these. I received compliments all day when I wore this! ORDER THE DAMN THING!" —Shelby Hyde
Get it from Amazon for $44.98+ (available in sizes XS–XXL and in 10 colors).
2. A button-down shacket available in both sleeveless and long-sleeve versions, so whether you want to go on a brisk hike or a bundled-up stroll, this little number will be your BFF.
Promising review: "The amount of compliments are just amazing! Every time I wore it I would be asked where did I buy it! The colors, look, and the length were extremely beautiful and perfect! I will be ordering the same one but a different color!! Thank you for this product!" —Marcinezmez
Get it from Amazon for $32.99 (available in sizes XS–XXL, eight colors, and in sleeveless and long-sleeve versions).
3. A wool blend shacket embodying just the right amount of boho chic, while remaining super functional (those pockets!) for those days when you need to be out and about.
Modest Maverick is a woman-owned small biz based on Vancouver Island, British Columbia creating boho-inspired apparel.
Promising review: "I love this surfside jacket! I am usually a size XS and I ordered an XS...it fits perfectly! A little oversized, but not too much. The fabric feels soft and comfy and I love the pockets. I can put my phone and keys in them without them falling out. I can still wear a thick sweater underneath for colder days but it looks great with just a t-shirt, too. Shipping to Europe was fast and without any complications. Erin is a wonderful and caring seller. Thanks so much!" —claudia engler
4. A plaid flannel shacket that's a simple combination of two wonderful things you'll soon learn will become an indelible part of your daily lexicon, much like "brunch." Or "Bennifer."
Promising review: "My boyfriend bought this for me for Christmas and I LOVE it. Had it on my Amazon wishlist for a hot minute and he finally pulled the trigger for me. It’s comfortable, loose fit, easy to layer, and elevates my outfits. It’s warm enough without being too warm. Perfect for winter when paired with a sweater or long sleeve." —Julia Cruz
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in sizes S–XL, 13 colors, and with or without a hood).
6. A merino wool shacket that takes "shirt jacket" and raises you one even better: behold the "sweater jacket." And it doesn't matter if you think it should be a "shacket" or a "swacket" — this thing is keeping the cold out.
FYI, this ~swacket~ has an estimated traditional retail value of $198, but you can get it for over $100 less at Quince! Now that's a steal!
Promising review: "This is the comfiest jacket I own! It’s warm and stylish. Even great in the mist of the Pacific North West. Highly recommend! The arms are a touch too long, but I would purchase again without a doubt." –Noam S.
Get it from Quince for $99.90 (available in sizes XS–XL and five colors).
7. A printed denim shacket made in 12 vintage-y geometric designs to make you stand out from the crowd and maybe, just maybe, replace that fraying denim jacket in the back of your closet.
Promising review: "Cutest and most comfy jacket I’ve ever gotten! It’s worth everything! It’s oversized in all the perfect places! I will be wearing it all summer/fall!" —Tyler & Sydney
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in sizes XS–XXL and 16 designs).
And here are some other denim jackets that'll be staples in your wardrobe.
8. A comfy plaid shacket you'll love until the very last leaf is gone from the trees — and then for the whole year after too, for its super soft feel and versatility.
Nothing like some soft and totally non-itchy fall clothing to get you goin', am I right? Just me? OK...
Promising review: "I love the color of this plaid shacket. Looks and fits perfect and warm, with a soft feeling for those fall days and nights. Perfect for shopping when I need a lighter jacket too." —Mary B
Get it from Old Navy for $50.97+ (originally $84.99; available in sizes XS–4X, including Tall and Petite sizing, and three colors).
9. A sherpa-lined Wrangler shirt jacket reviewers say is wonderfully snug due to the fleece, in addition to having that nonchalant oversized fit that'll make you look cooler than you actually are.
Promising review: "I find this shirt to be the ultimate in comfort. The sherpa lining provides warmth and insulation, however, since it is not present in the sleeves, it also makes a great 'outer layer' for moderate cold. It works just fine over a sweater, never catching or bunching the sleeves of inner layer! Outer flannel is soft, inner sherpa lining feels like a pillow. Hands down, my absolute favorite fall, and spring, outer layer!" —will schuermeyer
Get it from Amazon for $23.73+ (available in men's sizes S–3XL and 13 colors).
11. An olive green suede shacket featuring an adjustable cinching waist that'll fit juuust right over your bottom layer – be it a lightweight tee or chunky-knit sweater.
Promising review: "I wasn’t sure about a shacket. Decided to give a try since I liked the look. I really like it! Looks great – buttons up but hangs nicely when open. Did I mention this material is soft inside and out? So soft. I think in the fall I could wear it with layers for a cute look but it's also nice to wear to work as part of an outfit. Def glad I tried it. Oh and fits me with comfort." –Bambina79
Get it from Torrid for $82.12 (originally $109.50; available in sizes M–6X).
You can read more about Torrid in our roundup of the best places to buy plus-size clothing online.
12. An oversized shacket you'll don so much during the cooler months you might as well stock up on a backup right now.
Promising review: "I absolutely love this shacket! It's the perfect for in between weather like the Southwest. I can comfortably wear this over leggings and a tank to drop my kids off at school and still be warm. The large plaid pattern also looks fantastic. My son wants one in his size now. The large pockets in the front are amazing to store my phone and lipgloss. I cannot say enough about this. I've worn it daily and it washes extremely well." —Shopaholic
Get it from Walmart for $59.96 (available in sizes S–XL).
13. An oversized corduroy shacket in the style of lived-in, washed denim you'll actually live in once you realize it keeps you protecting against dropping temps, and goes with any outfit.
Promising review: "I absolutely love this shacket! It's pretty heavy duty but I love that about it. It's high quality and chic. I actually didn't realize when I ordered it that it was a corduroy material but it's worked out great and still has a denim look. Amazing add to my closet! :)" —Kayla
Get it from Amazon for $42.99+ (available in sizes XS–XL and six colors).
15. A patchwork quilt-style shacket reminiscent of your blankies of yesteryear, since it's equal in coziness but chicer in appearance (since this lil' number hasn't been torn to shreds or dragged through the mud).
Get it from Madewell for $179.99 (originally $218; available in sizes XXS–XL).
16. A flannel shacket to make you feel like you're on a luxurious ski vacation whenever you slip it on — but it's not so thick that you'll be sweating through your scarf.
Promising review: "If you are looking for a soft, THICK, well-made plaid shirt, this is it! The first time I wore this shirt, I got several compliments on it. I ended up buying a second one in a different color pattern. Would definitely recommend." —BankerChick
Get it from Amazon for $34.98+ (available in sizes XS–XXL and 15 colors).
17. An oversized flannel shacket with cuffs, pockets, cozy functionality without the bulkiness, and more style than you could have ever asked for when it starts to get cold out.
Promising review: "Very soft with a good thickness for a winter mix-match style along with a coat outside. I normally wear small for regular fitting, but since the reviews mentioned the sizing issue, I ordered a large for an oversized look. Perfect! The fit is even nicer after wash with softener. Very stylish and comfy." —Merrrr G
Get it from Amazon for $32.89+ (available in sizes S–XL and 22 colors).
18. A collared Columbia sherpa shacket that transforms into the coziest coat, so you can be protected against strong AC drafts and winter storms alike.
Promising review: "I love everything about this cozy coat! I bought it in black and loved it so much I bought the chalk color, my mom saw it on me and she immediately ordered one for herself in the burgundy color. I understand that the description is not right but with that said, Columbia got so much right with this coat that I can forgive that. Snaps versus a zipper on a longer coat, perfection! I love that I can snap it all up when I’m walking the dog but leave the bottom snaps undone when driving which is so much more comfortable! Love the warm cozy interior with no slippery nylon sleeves which always make me feel cold. Extra long sleeves that can easily be cuffed for shorter armed ladies. I also love the turtleneck style, no scarf required. Most important it looks great on! Sporty and yet stylish. A total win! Nice job Columbia!" —Kiki
Get it from Amazon for $86.25+ (available in sizes XS–3X and eight colors).
19. A plushy and oversized sherpa shacket you can cozy up in on your next cold-weather outing, be it a hike through the mountains, day at the lodge, or ice scraping session on your car (because it always takes longer than anticipated🙄).
20. A plush shirt jacket made to layer over any and all of your cold-weather looks, including your gym 'fits. That's right, you can still look stylish after an intense workout!
21. An oversized denim shacket if boxy denim jackets aren't your thing, and neither are bulky parkas that are too hot to properly ~strut~ in.
Promising review: "I love this shirt jacket. It's a heavier weight than I was expecting but it's just what I need. The quality is nice, well made and the fit is perfect. Because it's a heavier denim than chambray and since I was wearing a sleeveless tank under it, the lower shoulder area of my arm was a bit irritated. Once I washed the shirt, it did soften up some. I will be keeping it and looking for more from this brand. It really is a nice, stylish shirt/jacket without being a fad that will soon fade." —happygirl in kodiak
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in sizes S–XXL and eight colors).
And here are some other picks for clothes that are perfect for the fickle fall weather.