In honor of Halloween, we rounded up the scariest ghost stories from Reddit, including supernatural sightings and otherworldly encounters. Scroll on to be spooked!
1. "My uncle's house out on a very eastern part of New York was said to be haunted because the family that used to own it in the 1800s decided not to give it to the stableman and sold it instead."
2. "My grandparents have a helpful ghost. Their house was built in the 1860s, and they've lived in it since the late 1960s."
3. "We had ghosts in an old house that I lived in as a child. While being home alone, I could hear sweeping downstairs."
4. "I lived in a house for about five years that was haunted, but not in a malicious way. In a 'shitty roommate' kind of way."
5. "I lived in an old, haunted house in college. Things got so weird that everyone moved out except for me and one roommate."
6. "I had a one-bedroom apartment once, and as soon as it got dark enough outside, this old dude would walk from the bedroom to the bathroom all night."
7. "I watched one of our cats being pulled backward about 5 feet by her tail."
8. "I get sleep paralysis occasionally. It usually feels like someone has me by the throat and is pushing me into the bed."
9. "Closest I've got to a haunted house is a haunted room: I used to sleep on the second floor (the bottom one being the first) and my sister in the attic."
10. This child's closet creeper:
11. "My grandfather was in bed, reading before going to sleep, and he saw my grandmother (his wife) walk past the bedroom in a nightgown."
12. "When I was younger, my parents would frequently go run errands in the neighboring city and be gone most of the day from morning to night."
13. "My wife claims she also had a doppelgänger event with her brother."
14. "When I was around 9–10 years old, I remember waking up to see a large shadow standing at the foot of my bed. I was living with my dad at the time; he has a very large (five-floor) terrace house built in the 1800s."
15. "My husband and I own a martial arts school, and the building that it's in (which we also own) is about 130 years old...next to a church... And I never (and still don't, really — there has to be another explanation) believed in the paranormal, but the things that happened in it didn't just happen to me."
16. "When I was younger, I used to take naps upstairs, but by the time I was 8 years old, I absolutely REFUSED to go upstairs. The upstairs had two large...closets? Attics? They ran from one side of the upstairs all the way to the other side, on both sides."
17. "I used to live in an old, big five-bedroom house with six other people. My S.O. and I shared one of the rooms. I 'saw' a stranger in my room when I was in my 20s."
18. "I lived in one when I was a teen, along with my parents. Several instances come to mind. We were remodeling an old farmhouse and had been there a couple of months before witnessing anything."
19. "My father-in-law died before my son was born, so he never met him."
20. "So two weeks before we moved, my dad and I toured our house and I noticed this guy was painting the water heater, which I thought was weird AF, but I was like 10 so whatever."
21. "I am not the type to believe in ghosts, but this happened to me and I have no explanation. My mom passed away in 2016 at 56 of cancer. She was in hospice and died in her home. One of her favorite songs was "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" — which I added to her memorial video."
"Fast-forward months later, I am cleaning out her home of her belongings by myself. There is no one else there. At one point I have an emotional breakdown and step outside to collect myself. When I return, I hear music coming from the other side of the house...which immediately struck me as weird, as not only was I there alone, but the electricity in the home is shut off. I follow the music to a bookshelf, where I find it emanating from a snow globe.
It's motion-activated and only plays music when picked up. The song? 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.'"
22. "I had the best haunter ever and miss my first home because of this. I grew up with a cat, Boots, who was just a year my junior."
23. "Years ago, my husband and I were trying to see if we could get a modest house by contract for deed. We took my sister along to look at the house. It still had someone's personal items in it as though they had just stepped out — but it was for sale."
24. "My mom and dad passed just five weeks apart of unrelated cancers. We had taken my son with us to my parents’ house to feed their cats."
25. "When I was in college, I lived in an apartment complex. Every once in awhile, at around 2 a.m., I would hear breaking glass. It was clear as day. I never found any broken glass anywhere around the apartment."
26. "I was babysitting my niece when she was 2 years old. My sister was renting a very old house that was built in the 1930s."
27. "At the time when this happened, about eight years ago when I didn't believe in ghosts as much, my family and I were staying at a historic hotel in Winnipeg, Manitoba."
28. "I was in my room writing in my journal before bed. It was a bit later, and my parents were asleep. Most lights in the house were off except a little desk lamp."
29. This unexplainable occurence:
30. "A couple years ago, I was still living with my parents. I was upstairs in my bedroom hanging out in my room and watching TV."
31. "When I was younger, I lived in a small house that was really dark and quiet at night. I always woke up around midnight most nights and would look for something to eat in the kitchen."
32. "The earliest memory I have is of an experience with an apparition. Based on what I know, I was no more than 3 years old when I saw it."
33. "My childhood home was notoriously haunted. We moved into the house when I was around 6 and my brother was 3. It started slow with him and I seeing weird things at night and constant nightmares."
34. "This happened when I was 11, visiting a lighthouse in Michigan that was supposedly haunted by a boy."
35. "We were taking a tour of the battleship Massachusetts in Falls River for my girlfriend's 30th birthday."
36. "My best friend came to visit me, and this being South Africa, was waiting at the security gate of our house to let him in."
37. "I'm from Indonesia where paranormal activities are quite normal here. But then I had this one disturbing experience."
38. "A close family friend had been in a coma for a few weeks before his death and wasn't allowed visitors (not sure if that was his family's choice or the hospital's policy."
39. "I have a ghost of a boy who died in the '20s in my room. And he literally steals things from plain sight when you look away and then they’re gone."
40. This disgruntled granny:
This article contains content from Allie Hayes, CT Seale and Raven Ishak. It was compiled by Kelly Rissmana.