1. Obviously, the Oompa Loompas being played by different men is key.
2. The music.
3. Freddie Highmore is pretty cute, but Charlie's faces win in the older version.
4. Four words: The Candy Man Can.
5. Violet is MUCH better in the 1971 version.
6. Veruca is obviously also much better in the 1971 version.
7. Grandpa Joe: CLEARLY better in 1971.
8. The fact that this cup is edible.
9. Gene's roll = flawless.
10. Mike TV's mother.
11. The older version has this creepy, unexplained man.
12. Charlie's teacher in the 1971 version was fantastic.
13. Willy is WEARING that white suit.
14. The 1971 version has this guy.
15. Gene's dry humor is unparalleled.
16. This line that went right over my head as a child.
17. Gene's sass > Johnny's sass.
18. This reaction to Augustus Gloop falling in the chocolate river.
19. The scene that scarred youth around the world.
20. And most importantly, this scene.
Aside: I will admit there is a fatal flaw to the older version...Charlie's mother.
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!