2. “I am convinced that it would be a grave error to be drawn into unilateral action, outside of international law,” he said.
9. In a New York Times opinion piece published this summer, Putin reinforced the importance of the United Nations: “No one wants the United Nations to suffer the fate of the League of Nations, which collapsed because it lacked real leverage…”
“This is possible if influential countries bypass the United Nations and take military action without Security Council authorization.”
11. “We need to use the United Nations Security Council and believe that preserving law and order in today’s complex and turbulent world is one of the few ways to keep international relations from sliding into chaos.”
From Putin’s New York Times op-ed.
- The Democratic National Convention kicks off today and it's already off to a rocky start. Here's what you need to know 🇺🇸🔔
- At least two people have been killed and 16 others were injured in a shooting outside a nightclub in Fort Myers, Florida.
- Verizon is buying Yahoo's core business for about $5 billion, ending the web pioneer's run as an independent company.