2. “I am convinced that it would be a grave error to be drawn into unilateral action, outside of international law,” he said.
9. In a New York Times opinion piece published this summer, Putin reinforced the importance of the United Nations: “No one wants the United Nations to suffer the fate of the League of Nations, which collapsed because it lacked real leverage…”
“This is possible if influential countries bypass the United Nations and take military action without Security Council authorization.”
11. “We need to use the United Nations Security Council and believe that preserving law and order in today’s complex and turbulent world is one of the few ways to keep international relations from sliding into chaos.”
From Putin’s New York Times op-ed.
- Hidden from public view, there's a parallel legal universe that empowers corporations to bend countries to their will, an investigation reveals.
- Mexican music legend Juan Gabriel has died at 66. The singer was known for his mariachi tunes and ballads on love and heartbreak.
- Britney, Beyoncé, and a secret committee: 16 things you never knew about the MTV VMAs (on tonight at 9 ET) 🎵📺