1. Bryant Collins, an auto mechanic from Missouri, was fixing up a car on Highway 72 in Madison County when he saw something strange: a baby crawling on the side of the road.
3. “I had seen something in the corner of my eye, and I thought it was a baby,” Collins told NBC. “I just stopped and, when I got out, there was a baby … almost in the highway.”
Collins pointing to where he found the child.
5. He immediately called 911.
7. It turns out that the 15-month-old baby crawled 300 yards from her parents’ house through the woods, and almost onto Highway 72.
The child was not hurt, Madison County Sheriff Kip Thomas told NBC.
“Honestly that’s almost a miracle,” said Thomas. “That a 15-month-old can go that far from her house, into the woods, fall down an embankment, wind up near a major highway, and really not get hurt that bad.”
9. Collins stayed with the baby for two hours.
“The baby started crying,” Collins said, “so I turned my phone on and let her listen to some gospel music, and she calmed right down.”
11. Police arrested the child’s father, Timothy Pickens. The child’s mother will likely be arrested as well.
13. Collins himself has spent time behind bars. “I did 10 years in the federal institution for manufacturing cocaine,” he said. “When I was in prison, I made a very conscientious effort to change, and I did.”
Collins was released five years ago, and has remained sober since then. He was working at his new job as an auto repairman when he found the baby and saved her life.
You can watch a video interview with Collins here.
- DNC Day 2: Bill Clinton took the crowd down memory lane, and then Hillary broke through a virtual glass ceiling 💥
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a church attack that killed a priest in northern France on Tuesday.
- 🍎📉: Apple's business is declining due to slowing iPhone sales, but the company is still making a ton of money.