On Wednesday, “Popcorn,” a four-month-old turkey who loves corn and the song “Halo,” by Beyonce, defeated “Caramel” in the race-to-be-pardoned, and was named as “America’s National Thanksgiving Turkey.”
John F. Kennedy started the tradition of pardoning an annual Thanksgiving turkey in 1963, but this was only the second year that the public decided which turkey would win the title.
The White House made full profiles of the the birds on its website that included the birds’s interests, gobbles, pictures, and more. It also promoted the hashtags #TeamPopcorn and #TeamCaramel to determine a victor.
The voting process and social media campaigns reminded many people of the Hunger Games, but in the end, Caramel’s life was also spared.
4. The President even referenced the Hunger Games in his speech today: “After weeks of vocal practice and prepping for the cameras, the two tributes, Caramel and Popcorn, went head to head together for America’s vote as top gobbler.”
“The office of the president, one of the most powerful positions in the world, brings on many awesome powers and responsibilities. This is not one of them,” Obama joked.
“The competition was stiff, but we can officially declare Popcorn the winner, proving that even a turkey with a funny name can be successful in politics,” he said.
“As for Caramel, he’s sticking around and raising money for his next campaign.”
6. Congrats, Popcorn!
7. After pardoning both Caramel and Popcorn, let’s hope the President isn’t getting a reputation for being soft on turkeys.
- "We can never apologize enough." United released its report on the plane dragging accident, and outlined changes it'll make to prevent similar incidents.
- Republicans have breathed new life into their once dead Obamacare replacement and it may be enough to get the bill through the House.
- Sebastian Gorka couldn't make it as a national security expert in Hungary, but that's not stopping him from advising President Trump.
- People are calling the Trump administration's new "criminal alien" hotline to report how they've been victimized by space aliens 👽☎️