2. He used facebook to document the trip.
3. “Hmm, this doesn’t look like France,” he wrote, after landing in Canada.
4. He stayed in Newfoundland overnight, and did not comment on whether he will reattempt the trans-atlantic flight to Europe.
5. So what happened?
The cluster balloon was never able to achieve a stable float altitude and developed a severe yo-yo effect —- rapid descents with the aircraft hitting the surface of the water, followed by rapid ascents to altitudes as high as 21,000 feet or more. Trappe was unable to gain a steady hand on the errant balloon cluster, which at 3,000 cubic meters of volume, was the largest in the world.
7. We are sorry it didn’t work out, Jonathan!
8. And still hope all your dreams come true.
- Brexit fallout: Leaders of the remaining European Union states will call for the UK's withdrawal to happen in an "orderly fashion" and quickly.
- At least 41 people died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸