1. The FCC’s website, which is accepting public input on proposed net neutrality rules, has been experiencing “technical difficulties” since a Last Week Tonight With John Oliver segment aired on Sunday.
At the end of a 13-minute segment on net neutrality, Oliver encouraged internet trolls to take to the FCC website and focus their “rage” on the proposed rules.
“Ending net neutrality would allow big companies to buy their way into the fast lane, leaving everyone else in the slow lane,” Oliver warned in the segment.
2. “I would like to address the internet commenters out there directly… This might be the moment you’ve spent your whole life training for,” said Oliver, encouraging trolls to “focus your indiscriminate rage in a useful direction.”
“You have been out there ferociously commenting on dance videos of adorable three year olds saying things like ‘any loser could dance like this after an hour of practice’ … But this is the moment you were made for commenters … For once in your life we need you to channel that anger.”
4. On Monday afternoon, as a video of the segment went viral, the FCC tweeted that they were experiencing technical difficulties “due to heavy traffic.”
7. “As of now we are happy the show is attracting a lot of passionate viewers,” HBO representative Rosa Oh told BuzzFeed in an email.
The segment has been watched over 700,000 times on YouTube, and according to Nielsen ratings, HBO’s newest talk show was seen by 1 million people on Sunday night.
This post has been updated to include a statement from HBO.
- President Trump will sign an executive order on Tuesday stopping the EPA's plan to limit power plants burning coal.
- The Republican chair of the House probe into Russia and Trump should step down after secretly meeting with a source at the White House, say top Democrats.
- Facebook will start globally rolling out three features today on iOS and Android that strongly resemble Snapchat. They're called Camera, Direct, and Stories.
- And a college student was banned from Tinder after scamming some men out of money 💸 💔