4. He spent $429 on a train ticket that took him from coast to coast in 15 days.
For $429, an Amtrak rail pass lets you break your trip into segments, allowing for stops where you can explore cities along the way. “The train ride from San Francisco to New York can be done for as cheap as $213 with no stops,” Low tells BuzzFeed Life. The fewer stops, the cheaper the ride.
8. And that sleeping on the train isn’t so bad.
“The reclining seats are relatively comfortable and pretty spacious, something like the business class seats on domestic airlines,” he says. “You can pay more for sleeper cars, which include proper beds and meals.”
11. On top of it all, traveling by train means that your adventure starts way before you reach your destination.
“The experience rewards you with far more stories and experiences and sights than you could ever witness alone in a car, eyes fixed to the road, or on a five-hour flight across the country,” Low says.
- French authorities have begun moving thousands of migrants and refugees from the makeshift "Jungle" camp in Calais.
- Trump supporters haranguing the press at rallies has become routine. Now, the alt-right has adopted an old Nazi term to describe reporters.
- Inside WikiLeaks: A former employee shares what he learned about Julian Assange.
- An NFL player paid tribute to Harambe, the gorilla who died at a Cincinnati zoo, on his cleats.