4. He spent $429 on a train ticket that took him from coast to coast in 15 days.
For $429, an Amtrak rail pass lets you break your trip into segments, allowing for stops where you can explore cities along the way. “The train ride from San Francisco to New York can be done for as cheap as $213 with no stops,” Low tells BuzzFeed Life. The fewer stops, the cheaper the ride.
8. And that sleeping on the train isn’t so bad.
“The reclining seats are relatively comfortable and pretty spacious, something like the business class seats on domestic airlines,” he says. “You can pay more for sleeper cars, which include proper beds and meals.”
11. On top of it all, traveling by train means that your adventure starts way before you reach your destination.
“The experience rewards you with far more stories and experiences and sights than you could ever witness alone in a car, eyes fixed to the road, or on a five-hour flight across the country,” Low says.
- Barack Obama had his final press conference as president, defending his legacy and vowing to fight Trump if the nation's "core values may be at stake."
- Donald Trump's pick for health secretary, Tom Price, refused to say at his confirmation hearing whether or not he would cut Medicare and Medicaid.
- It's official: Scientists announced today that 2016 was the hottest year on record and that greenhouse gases are to blame ♨️️🌍
- "Will & Grace" will return for a 10-episode revival. Debra Messing and Eric McCormack will reprise their roles in the groundbreaking NBC sitcom 📺