1. This is Duke. He is a dwarf bull and he lives at an animal sanctuary in North Yorkshire in the U.K.
2. Duke is disabled following an injury and is unable to walk unassisted.
Due to his smaller size and short legs, Duke wasn’t wanted by the commercial farm where he was born. He was even attacked by the other cows at the property.
3. Eventually, Duke was taken in by Sharon Lawlor at the CALF animal sanctuary in northern England.
Lawlor spent £10,000 nursing Duke back to health.
7. Lawlor and her family have to find a new home for Duke, as well as five more cows, 30 sheep, 12 chickens, five pigs, four goats and three turkeys.
“We’ve had a real rollercoaster year, but the letter about our lease not being renewed was a bolt from the blue just before Christmas,” Lawlor said. “We’ve searched high and low for a suitable, alternative smallholding, but with no joy.”
8. The family are now attempting to fundraise enough money to open a permanent animal sanctuary for Duke and his farmyard friends.
“Ideally, for long-term security we need to buy our own permanent sanctuary, that CALF can call home,” Lawlor said. “We’d like a home we can open up to the public to come and visit and get involved in, have accommodation where people can stay, and the potential to open a café and shop so that the sanctuary can be self-sufficient.”
9. “We’re in a very serious position right now, with very little time. Failure to find a new home would bring unthinkable consequences for the animals in our care, especially Duke with his special needs.”
You can support the online crowdfunding campaign to find Duke a new home here.
- South Korean President Park Geun-hye has apologized for negligence after lawmakers impeached her over a corruption scandal.
- Donald Trump will remain an executive producer on NBC's "The Celebrity Apprentice" while he's president.
- John Glenn, a pioneering astronaut and the first American to orbit the Earth, has died at 95. Godspeed, Glenn 🚀🇺🇸
- Uber finally laid out hard rules for riders: No guns, sex, or barfing, please 🚗❌