Boris Johnson Has Left Intensive Care After His Condition Continued To Improve
The prime minister, who has COVID-19, spent three nights in an intensive care unit at St Thomas' hospital after his condition worsened on Monday.
Boris Johnson has been released from intensive care back to a ward at St Thomas' hospital after his condition continued to improve on Thursday. He is being treated for COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.
"The Prime Minister has been moved this evening from intensive care back to the ward, where he will receive close monitoring during the early phase of his recovery," Downing Street said in a statement.
"He is in extremely good spirits," the spokesperson added.
The prime minister spent three nights in the intensive care unit after his condition worsened on Monday.
He had been admitted to hospital on Sunday as his COVID-19 symptoms persisted.
Johnson was given standard oxygen treatment in intensive care and was not put on a ventilator.
After a worrying 48 hours, chancellor Rishi Sunak said on Wednesday that he was "improving", and Downing Street confirmed he was "responding to treatment".
That improvement continued on Thursday and the PM has now been returned to a ward at the hospital, where he is expected to remain for several days.
When he is eventually released from hospital, he is likely to need several weeks of rest as he recovers from his prolonged case of COVID-19.
Foreign secretary Dominic Raab is continuing to deputise for Johnson while he is out of action.
Speaking at the daily Downing Street press conference on Thursday, Raab said he had still not spoken to the prime minister, but confirmed he had the necessary authority along with the cabinet to make a decision on extending the current lockdown beyond next week.