2. Celtic Queen Tilda fronts the new campaign for Chanel’s Métiers d’Art collection.
Shot by Karl Lagerfeld at a grand, old and tapestry-laden chateau, Swinton wears pieces from the label’s “Paris-Edimbourg” Métiers d’Art line. (The show’s title refers to the mix of Parisian chic and chunky tartans.) Chanel presented the high-end collection to the fashion world’s finest last December at Linlithgow Palace in Scotland — paying tribute to the country’s artisan tweed and knitwear industries. It snowed lightly while the show walked, because Karl can control the weather when he so chooses.
On his choice of model, Lagerfeld explained: “Tilda perfectly embodies the Paris-Edimbourg collection… She is of course Scottish, but more than that, she is a modern woman, a timeless icon of elegance.” She’s Tilda Swinton, basically.
8. Chanel also released a series of behind-the-scenes photos from Tilda’s shoot earlier this month:
- North Dakota police have begun clearing out Standing Rock protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- The ACLU is suing the city of Milwaukee and its police for allegedly performing thousands of illegal stop-and-frisk searches that targeted minorities.
- #Peggygate: West Elm offers full refunds for the notoriously disintegrating Peggy Couch days after pulling it from its website and stores👏