1. Lady Gaga just dropped the music video for “Applause,” lead single from her new Artpop album.
It’s directed by much-renowned fashion photographers Inez von Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, who are clearly having a whale of a time making Gaga look silly.
4. Anyway, the video is kinda weird.
5. OK REALLY WEIRD.
(Helena Bonham-Carter does this “call me unhinged, I dare you?” look better, it must be said.)
6. Stop looking through my bedroom curtains and into my soul so deep Gaga, please.
MIMES GONE WILD, it’ll be a thing soon enough.
9. Or possibly that time Homer invented a makeup gun on an episode of The Simpsons.
10. There’s some sexy writhing around on a plush mattress, as you do when wearing lacy underwear and ankle boots.
11. Inspired by: nothing in particular. Gaga just wants to let us all know she’s ready to be seen in skimpy undies again.
12. And then she’s dancing around with a parachute.
13. Doesn’t it look like good fun?
14. Inspired by: Little Edie Beale, those parachute games you used to play at summer camp when it rained, and a small dose of sorcery/mustard gas.
Hopefully not mustard gas though, because that’s not very healthy.
15. Gaga might be a little tangled up in all the billowy silk though. Here she’s looking a little distressed.
16. But then, a smile! And some bleached eyebrows.
18. More heavy makeup.
19. Four times the heavy, heavy makeup.
24. Inspired by: this look from the fall 2011 Jean Charles de Castelbajac collection.
26. Anyway, this is the look for the obligatory raunchy dance number, naturally, which in turn is just the sort of project Anna Wintour would ask Hamish to take on as his latest bout of stunt reportage.
Remember that time he auditioned for The X Factor? It can’t get “worse” than that.
28. Except then this happens.
29. Inspired by: epilepsy.
30. Briefly, poor sad Gaga gets trapped in one of those time/space portals that popped up all over Donnie Darko.
31. She’s carrying an extremely large “herbal cigarette,” but left her lighter in one of her other sheer ballgowns that has a pocket.
32. Inspired by: Mata Hari meets the singing flower sellers in Covent Garden market circa Oliver.
Also, there are shades of Florence Welch/Marina Abramovic’s mournful performance art.
33. OK, inter-galaxy portal travel over and Gaga has now sprouted some skeletal wings. Perhaps a side effect of bending the rules of space and time.
Or just a hokey accessory. You decide!
34. She has not sprouted horns, because facial prostheses are so 2011, but she’s content to make do with some pointy fingers.
35. Inspired by: birds, I guess. Skinny ones.
36. Speaking of — NOW SHE’S A SWAN. A fire-breathing swan, specifically.
37. AND NOW SHE’S A HORSE. A clothes horse. A couture clothes horse!
Her pants are shiny and she’s doing the robot. What more do/could you people WANT?
39. These inconvenient puffs of pastel smoke are still happening. It’d be more fun if they were cotton candy, wouldn’t it?
After all, if Gaga’s fine to roll around in cake and heavy frosting for a video then loosely spun sugar’s a breeze.
40. Note Gaga’s matching clam shell panties. Inspired by: what Mean Girls’ Karen Smith would wear to a Halloween party if she’d dressed as Botticelli’s “The Birth of Venus.”
Sadly this won’t ever happen, because 1) Karen Smith isn’t real, and 2) even if she was, she’d think Botticelli was a type of pasta and carbs are bad, duh.
41. This is just a scary screencap I felt needed to be shared.
43. And then there’s this last facemask, likely poached from the wardrobe department on a Guillermo del Toro movie.
We all wish we’d worn one and thus avoided watching that last scary crawly Gaga GIF.
45. See the video in full here, if you enjoy that sort of thing.
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is making an unprecedented play for Utah, a state that hasn't gone blue since 1964 🔵
- It's not just you. A massive attack has brought down major sites like Twitter and Spotify for some users in the US.
- Kesha fans rejoice: Sony just confirmed that a new album is in the works 🎶
- People are trolling Eric Trump for apparently getting caught putting lemonade in a free water cup at In-N-Out.