1. Female soldiers patrolled North Korean banks of the Yalu River today in new pairs of black high heels, for reasons as yet unknown.
2. Really, go ahead, guess Kim Jong-un’s logic.
The change in uniform appears to encompass two styles: chunky platform heels featuring a bold gold buckle — see: soldier on the far right — or a perhaps more-comfy gradient wedge — see: second from the right. The heels represent a big change from the utilitarian footwear displayed in previous army drills and marches.
4. Their male counterparts remained in regular combat boots.
- Russia won't be banned from the Rio Olympics but its athletes need to pass new anti-doping tests to compete, the IOC ruled.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a bombing that killed at least 80 people in Afghanistan Saturday.
- Hillary Clinton made her debut with VP pick Tim Kaine, who dipped into Spanish and spoke on support for immigration reform and gun control.