Immigration minister Peter Dutton has landed himself in a cauldron of hot water after he accidentally sent a text to the wrong person.
Dutton had tried to send a text to another politician referring to News Corp journalist Samantha Maiden as "a mad fucking witch". Only thing is, he sent it to her by mistake.
1. For once, Australia agreed on something. It was an epic fuck up. And it was fucking hilarious.
2. We started imagining how Dutton must have felt when he realised that he'd texted Samantha Maiden instead of Jamie Briggs.
3. And then we started thinking about how he might try to fix it.
5. Was there any way he could salvage this?
6. Was this faux pas something that Dutton had committed before?
7. There was even commentary from some American guy on Twitter, who responded after copping abuse meant for the Aussie politician, comparing him to Donald Trump.
8. We wondered how the prime minister must be feeling.
10. And whether this was going to work its way into official immigration policy.
11. The only thing left to do was to try and make amends.
12. With that, we wiped the tears from our eyes and tried to get on with our lives. What a mad fucking way to bring in the new year.
Alexandra Lee is a politics reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Sydney, Australia.
Contact Alex Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.