1. An asteroid once destroyed a massive forest in Siberia without ever hitting the ground.
2. The days were shorter millions of years in the past.
3. The Mediterranean Sea once dried up almost completely.
4. The atmosphere around the sun is much hotter than the actual surface of the sun.
5. It once rained fish in a small town in the Australian outback.
6. Earth shares its orbit with its very own asteroid buddy.
7. There is a lake in Venezuela that experiences almost constant lightning.
8. There are planets floating around space without a sun or a solar system to call home.
9. Many oranges have to be "degreened" to get their distinctive orange color.
10. There is a dwarf planet in our solar system that spins so rapidly that its shape is all messed-up.
11. Male koalas have two penises and female koalas have three vaginas.
12. Russia is bigger than Pluto.
13. Firenados are a thing that happens.
14. The tallest known cliff in the Solar System is on Uranus' tiny moon Miranda.
15. There was a time when dragonflies the size of seagulls terrorized the Earth.
16. All the planets of the Solar System could theoretically fit in the space between Earth and the Moon.
17. An entirely new system in the human body was discovered thanks to weed.
Science Writer, Fossil Beastmaster
Contact Alex Kasprak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.