1. If someone doesn't know where Taunton is, you just have to tell them it's "kind of near Bristol".
2. Most people who have heard of Taunton but have never been assume that it's much nicer than it actually is.
3. But in reality it's neither great nor shit, just kind of ~in between~.
For every Castle Hotel, there's a Naval and Military pub.
4. Perkin is always the busiest place in town on Friday and Saturday nights, and it gets extremely grim.
5. So if you want something more civilised, you normally have to go and spend a load of money in Pitcher & Piano or Cosy Club.
6. This nightclub seems to change its name every single year, and yet it's always just as shit.
7. And this one is always just known as "Dellers", even though it hasn't been called that for years.
8. The Wickes roundabout felt like the most terrifying thing in the world when you were learning to drive.
9. You still get a tiny bit excited when Taunton comes up on the weather map on BBC News.
10. If you were lucky, you might have been a kid when Fun4Kidz* still existed.
11. All of your birthday parties were probably at the Odeon, Hollywood Bowl, or both.
12. The Taunton pools were boring, so if you wanted real fun you'd ask your mum to drive you out to Sedgemoor Splash.
It had rapids, slides, AND a wave machine. Devastatingly, it closed down in 2010 😞 RIP.