1. Plantains are life.
No Caribbean meal is complete without them.
2. No matter where they originally come from, we agree that salsa and merengue are truly superior forms of music.
3. Although arguing about where they originate is practically an art form, too.
Facts are facts.
4. You definitely grew up around signs like these.
5. No kitchen is complete without sofrito.
6. You've had people ask if your food is "spicy," and it's just like...
7. Our dads all dance like this:
8. You have a painting of framboyanes or of a hill in the countryside somewhere in your home.
9. Consonants are merely gentle suggestions.
10. Basically, we're all united by the fact that our accents are indecipherable to other Latinos.
11. Even if you've moved away, you need to visit the ocean often to feel complete.
12. You recognize two seasons: rainy season, and rainy season with hurricanes.
13. Your grandmother wears THIS slipper and says THIS, daily:
14. Volume is relative...
15. ... As is punctuality.
16. Dancing is 99.7% hip action.
And raising your hands in front of you like you just touched something hot.