We crowdsourced questions people were always afraid to ask Latinos, and then, ya know, we answered them!
1. Why do some Latinos/Hispanics call themselves "Spanish"? Does that mean something different?
2. Do you speak in Spanglish?
3. Are you really into those telenovelas?
4. Is Sofia Vergara loved or hated?
5. Do you understand everything your abuelita says to you in Spanish?
6. Real talk: How do you feel when (ostensibly) white people speak to you in Spanish, or overpronounce Spanish words? Is it more OK if they're genuinely good at the language?
Norberto: If you're genuinely good at the language, speak to me in whatever language you want. If you have a heavy accent to the point where I can't understand you, I will ask you to speak in English. Don't overemphasize. You don't do it in English, so why would you do it in Spanish?
Pablo: If you’re looking to have an authentic conversation and can speak the language relatively well, then I’ll be open to you speaking to me in Spanish. If you’re just trying to be funny or imitate what you think Spanish sounds like, then please stick to English.