3. The Internet® credits online gamers with inventing “kk.”
This message board comment explains that it was used because it takes less time to type “kk” than “ok.” And every split second counts when you’re playing online.
This Quora response on the origin of kk dates it to “circa 1996,” and this “Net for Beginners” breakdown of the term gently reminds you that “90% of the time, these expressions are typed in all lowercase letters. On selective occasions, you are welcome to use them in all capitals to express enthusiasm. Just remember not to type entire sentences in all caps, lest you be considered rude.”
So don’t “KK” someone. OK? Kk.
5. But “Kk” is, like…
The Huffington Post calls it “a way to casually yet flirtatiously show interest in someone.” Like a sloth winking at you.
8. And, yes. I’m fully aware this isn’t a popular opinion.
I know the anti-kk hate is coming. I can feel it swelling and churning and growing and gaining strength, like a zit growing right beneath the surface of your skin the night before a first date.
10. And some people are genuinely confused by it.
15. So the way we communicate with one another matters.
And that includes the subtleties, quirks, and regional flair that occur in mostly text-based communication.
- An adult film actress says Donald Trump, or someone on his behalf, offered her $10,000 and the use of his private jet to come to his suite.
- AT&T has made a deal to buy Time Warner — owner of CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. — in one of the biggest acquisitions ever 💰
- The Chicago Cubs are heading to their first World Series since 1945 after beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 🐻
- A black metal band crashed a couple's engagement shoot and the photos are 🤘