1. Freund, a former German paratrooper, established a wolf sanctuary in 1972 and raised more than 70 animals over the last 40 years.
6. The wolves, acquired as cubs from zoos or animal parks, were mostly hand-reared.
7. The sanctuary was home to six packs from European, Siberian, Canadian, Artic and Mongolian regions.
With Arctic wolves.
8. He was born in Germany in 1933. He said he got his love of animals from his mother.
9. In the 1950s he worked as a zoo assistant in Stuttgart.
10. He then spent 20 years as a career soldier.
12. His wife was also a passionate supporter of animal welfare.
With his wife Erika and their cat Max in the living room of their home near Wolfspark.