1. The tour will be the Pope’s first visit to the area as Pontiff. He announced the trip to thousands of people in St. Peter’s Square during his Sunday address.
2. The trip to Amman, Jerusalem and Bethlehem will mark the 50th anniversary of a landmark trip there by Pope Paul VI in 1964.
4. The church is in an area disputed by Palestinians and Israelis. The Pope has made many appeals for peace since his election last year.
5. The Pope singled out the Holy Land for prayers in his Christmas address last month, saying:
Bless the land where you chose to come into the world, and grant a favourable outcome to the peace talks between Israelis and Palestinians.
- Scientists and supporters marched to fight against perceived hostility from Trump — with delightfully nerdy signs 🤓
- North Korea threatened Australia with a nuclear strike over its alliance with the United States.
- The police officer killed by a terrorist on the Champs-Élysées in Paris is being remembered as a defender of LGBT rights and a patriot.
- In 2014, #Girlboss became the woman's career bible. Now, Sophia Amoruso is doubling down on career-focused feminism with a new company.