1. Seventeen-year-old Sam Berns died on Friday from complications due to Progeria, a rare genetic disease that appears to bring on early aging.
The Patriots held a moment of silence for Berns before Saturday’s game which saw them beat the Indianapolis Colts, 43-22.
2. Berns was the star of the 2013 HBO documentary Life According To Sam, which saw him and his family looking for treatments to help him and other children battling the disease.
3. Last year, Sam gave a moving TED talk on his philosophy for a happy life.
4. The Progeria Research Foundation, set up by Sam’s parents after he was diagnosed, announced his death in an online statement:
The family of Sam Berns confirmed today that he passed away Friday evening, January 10, due to complications from Progeria.
Sam, age 17, was diagnosed at 22 months of age with Progeria. His parents, Drs. Leslie Gordon and Scott Berns, established The Progeria Research Foundation in 1999 to find the cause, treatment and cure. Children with Progeria live an average of 13 years.
In 2013, HBO Documentaries broadcast the story of Sam Berns in Life According to Sam , and his courage and spirit moved everyone who came to know him personally or was inspired by his story. Sam also shared his life philosophy at TEDxMidAtlantic in October 2013.
The entire PRF community mourns the loss of this remarkable young man who not only inspired PRF’s creation, but also touched millions of people worldwide.
The family requests privacy at this time until arrangements can be made. Expressions of sympathy and support may be expressed using #prfsam on Twitter and The Progeria Foundation Facebook page and/or directed to The Progeria Research Foundation at P.O. Box 3453, Peabody, MA 01961-3453.
5. Patriots CEO Robert Kraft expressed his sadness at Sam’s passing in a statement posted online.
“I loved Sam Berns and am richer for having known him. He was a special young man whose inspirational story and positive outlook on life touched my heart. I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to spend time with him and to get to know his incredible family,” Kraft said.
- Indiana votes on Tuesday, and it could be Ted Cruz's last big chance to end Trump's winning streak in the U.S. presidential race 🇺🇸
- A judge in Brazil has ordered WhatsApp blocked for 72 hours over the messaging service's recently encrypted data ❌📲
- Leicester City won England's Premier League football championship for the first time, capping off a fairy-tale season that will go down in history ⚽️