3. Harriet Welsch from Harriet the Spy
Harriet was the incredibly charming combination of fiercely independent, curious, ambitious, flawed, and caring. She totally made you wish she’d write nice things about you in her notebook, and you’d have taken down Marion Hawthorne with her any day of the week.
4. Encyclopedia Brown from Encyclopedia Brown
OKAY REAL TALK: why didn’t Encyclopedia and Harriet cross paths in their respective fictional universes and date? Come to think of it, maybe they did, and eventually grew old together as philosophy and English professors at a small, highly selective liberal arts college located in the scenic Hudson Valley.
9. Tibby Rollins from The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
So Bridget was supposed to be the *sexy* one, and Carmen was *curvy*, and Lena was so beautiful that eventually Ann Brashares ran out of adjectives to describe her (JK ILY), but for real it was all about Tibby: small and cynical and punk-haired, who went through so much loss and change and came out the other side with the sweetest sense of gratitude without ever losing her kickass edge.
Plus her boyfriend got wicked hot over the course of the series so it was easy to get a couple-crush on them both.
10. Nick and Norah from Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist
UGH TALK ABOUT COUPLE-CRUSHES AMIRITE. I would be lying if I said that this book wasn’t a medium-sized reason I first wanted to move to New York; clearly it’s all about eating pierogis with tousle-haired bassists and busty geniuses after midnight. Also: makeouts.
13. Alanna from The Song of the Lioness
I died when I found out there was an actual series of books about a redhead named Alanna (spelled the way I spelled it, no less!) and then I died twice when I discovered what a complete gender-bending kingdom-saving BAMF she was. Also, remember Jonathan of Conté? If you are a human with a pulse who so much as touched one of these books, you totally do.
17. Susan Pevensie from The Chronicles of Narnia
Susan got a raw deal: she basically got kicked out Narnia for growing up and starting to wear lipstick. But before she vanished from the series completely, she was super hot and sweet and never once betrayed her entire family in exchange for Turkish delight, which is gross anyway.
21. Sherlock Holmes
Encyclopedia Brown grew up to become him (after an Oxbridge education and a fair amount of cocaine). Imagine sitting around a crackling fire, matching wits with him over a glass of port. Imagine what he’d do when you figured out that the butler couldn’t possibly have been left-handed because look at how he did up his French cuffs. Imagine.
- The Democratic National Convention kicks off today and it's already off to a rocky start. Here's what you need to know 🇺🇸🔔
- Two people were killed and at least 16 others were injured in a shooting outside a nightclub in Fort Myers, Florida.
- Verizon is buying Yahoo's core business for about $5 billion, ending the web pioneer's run as an independent company.