1. Selfridges Department Store in London has just launched the “No Noise” initiative.
In collaboration with Headspace, a company that bills itself as “the world’s first gym membership for the mind,” the department store will host mass meditations, provide individual “pods” for guided meditations, and present a series of contemplative talks called “Idle Sundays.” The idea is to tune out all the noise of the modern world and focus inward.
Five hundred people gathered for a meditation led by Headspace co-founder Andy Puddicombe and Selfridges Creative Director Alannah Weston at the January 10th launch.
3. There’s a “Silence Room” where shoppers can sit in peace.
When Harry Gordon Selfridge first opened the store back in 1909, there was a room where shoppers could “retire from the whirl of bargains and the build up of energy.” The store is resurrecting the space to fit the era of smartphones and Black Friday campouts.
4. In February, there will be a performance of John Cage’s 4’33.
Which is a completely silent composition.
- Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new National Security Adviser, replacing Michael Flynn, who resigned last week.
- Milo Yiannopoulos's book has been canceled after he was accused of defending pedophilia.
- Russian ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin has died after suffering from cardiac arrest this morning, a day before his 65th birthday.
- A girl's best friend showed up to her date in a fake mustache to spy on her and it is the definition of friendship goals 😎