Before trying most of these projects, you’ll want to remove the label from your bottle (unless you want an eternal reminder that you’ve been drinking rosé from the $5.99 bin). Creative Jewish Mom has some great tips on how to go about doing that. Also, it should go without saying that you don’t actually have to use alcohol bottles.
4. Make a lamp:
The obvious irony here is that you won’t be able to test if it works until the power comes back on, but it’ll give you something to look forward to (besides the sweet knowledge of your own survival). Find out how at Instructables; use hardware from an old lamp you don’t like anymore instead of buying new stuff from the hardware store.
9. Wrap a bottle in tape before painting it to achieve this cool negative-space effect.
Varying the width of the tape strips will make the pattern appear random, like in this example, and you could also create stripes or some kind of picture with evenly spaced tape. Spray paint works best for this project, but if you don’t have any on hand, any white paint will do.
10. Why stop at a vase? Use newspaper to make a bouquet of flowers that will never, ever die.
Cut a rectangular piece of newspaper that’s about twice as long as the bottle. Wrap and secure around the bottle and cut the remaining newspaper at the top into strips around 1 1/2 inches wide. Run the edge of a scissor blade firmly but gently along each strip in order to curl it. Acknowledge that you’ve gone a little insane if you’re already attempting to recreate living things out of your own garbage.
11. There is an unbelievably cool trick to cutting bottles that requires nothing but cotton string, acetone nail polish remover, and a candle or lighter:
This is witchcraft. Seriously, though, be so careful when doing this; keep the bottle of polish remover far, far away from the flame. Make sure you have plenty of water on hand, and work slowly so you don’t cut yourself. An emery board will help sand down any sharp edges (who knew DIY manicures and at-home glasswork had so much in common?).
22. Don’t forget to remind the people you love that you love them!
And nothing says “I love you” like a gigantic heart made from remnants of all the booze you’ve consumed together. Just like the above project, start from the bottom and work your way up in rows.
Also: Save the bees.
- Republican members of Congress face angry town halls flooded with voters opposing the repeal of Obamacare and other parts of the Trump agenda.
- Education Secretary Betsy DeVos defended the Trump administration rescinding transgender protections, despite reports she opposed the effort.
- The Trump administration wants to send immigrants caught at the southern US border to Mexico even if they're not from the country.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.