2. The tree was covered in more than 45,000 LED lights…
3. …and topped with a Swarovski crystal star.
4. Thousands of New Yorkers and tourists came out to watch the ceremony.
Some looked more excited than others.
This Salvation Army volunteer, named Jessie Rock, danced for donations while everyone gathered around.
7. The NYPD were on call for crowd control.
Also in case someone tried to steal the tree.
8. Cee Lo Green performed.
In the world’s most perfect coat.
9. So did Rod Stewart.
He looks like he wants to give all of New York a big Christmas hug.
10. And, of course, the iconic Rockettes.
13. The tree will remain lit until Jan. 7.
By then everyone will have had such Christmas-decoration overload that they won’t be too sad to see it go.
- Scott Pruitt, Donald Trump's pick to lead the EPA, refused to say at his confirmation hearing if he would recuse himself from lawsuits he filed against the EPA.
- It's official: Scientists announced today that 2016 was the hottest year on record and that greenhouse gasses are to blame ♨️️🌍
- President Obama commuted Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for giving classified documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- "Will & Grace" will return for a 10-episode revival. Debra Messing and Eric McCormack will reprise their roles in the groundbreaking NBC sitcom.