1. The 17th annual Rio Gay Pride Parade took place Sunday at Copacabana Beach.
His sign reads, “I have the right to be gay and to be a Christian.”
2. The theme was “There is no prejudice in our hearts, but love instead.”
According to an article by the BBC, “266 people were killed in Brazil last year because of their sexual orientation,” and so in addition to fostering a sense of community and pride, the parade is also intended to raise awareness of the real problem of homophobia in Brazil.
4. There were over 1 million attendees and 15 enormous electric floats.
This transgender performer clearly wasn’t scared of heights.
7. And participants dressed in amazing multicolored costumes.
Even though it was around 80 degrees out.
- World leaders have agreed to a "cessation of hostilities" in Syria and expanded humanitarian aid, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said.
- NYPD Officer Peter Liang was found guilty of manslaughter in the 2014 shooting of Akai Gurley, an unarmed black man.
- Time for Democratic presidential debate number six: Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders will face each other in Wisconsin tonight 🇺🇸