21 Weird Side Effects Of Being A Person Of Color Raised By White People
I love you, family. But this was weird.
1. When you're out and about, no one will believe that your parents are actually your parents.
2. Or that your siblings are actually your siblings.
3. You're intimately acquainted with searching "where are you from?" questions from strangers.
4. You're thoroughly confused as to why the world makes such a big deal out of interracial relationships.
5. Most of your family has absolutely no idea what to do with your hair.
Which probably led to you not having any idea what to do with your hair growing up.
6. But you get sunburnt way less easily in any situation than your family members do.
7. Some family members still think they know what being a PoC is like because they're related to you.
8. And there'll always be that one relative who thinks having a PoC in the family excuses all their racist comments.
9. And also that one who you dread discussing racial issues with.
10. At least one person will casually refer to you as "exotic" in relation to your family members.
11. And you're intimately aware of what curious stares from strangers feel like.
Kind of prickly.