1. Stan Lee, creator of such iconic superheroes as Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor –and many, many more – is currently working with LINE Webtoon on a Superhero Comics Contest with POW! Entertainment.
Winners will receive $30,000 and become a LINE WEBtoon featured artist. They’ll also receive mentorship on their comic from Lee himself.
2. We spoke to Lee via email about his creative process and his tips for creating a great hero.
3. On the first thing he does when he sits down to create a character:
“I take a deep breath, cross my fingers, and hope I can come up with something good.”
4. On the most important trait a character can have:
“He or she has to be colorful, interesting, unusual and sympathetic. If there’s one important trait it has to be ‘interesting.’”
5. And on how to translate a jumble of traits on a page into a complex, three-dimensional individual:
“The best way to do that is through their dialogue.”
“Each character should have his or her own individual method of speaking, so that if you read a dialogue balloon (without seeing the illustration) you would know who it was who said that dialogue just by the style in which it was spoken.”
7. And on the biggest mistake people make when writing a character:
“They make the character too dull and colorless.”
8. There you have it — the master has spoken.
- Top legal scholars will be filing the 1st major lawsuit against President Trump's alleged business conflicts on Monday.
- "Welcome to the movement": Women's March on Washington organizers are working tirelessly to make sure 1st-time marchers stick around ✊
- Kellyanne Conway says White House press sec. Sean Spicer didn't lie about crowd size at Trump's inauguration. He gave "alternative facts."
- The Patriots are heading to the Super Bowl yet again after crushing the Steelers. They'll play the Falcons on Feb. 5 🏈