1. We learned that we might suffer a climate crisis by the year 2040.
2. We have a new organ called the the interstitium now!
3. We finally got to read about a survivor of the last U.S. slave ship, after years of the manuscript being ignored.
4. There's a huge subaltern lake on Mars, ending a decades-long debate among astronomers.
5. There was a 1,500 year old sword hiding at the bottom of a Swedish lake—and an 8-year-old girl found it.
6. The solution to regrowing hair follicles might be found in McDonald's fry oil.
7. Researchers found an entire lost city!
8. We found billions of tons of "zombie" bacteria under the Earth's surface, redefining what life is.
9. We found an extremely rare depiction of Jesus Christ with short hair.
10. We cloned monkeys for the first time.
11. We found a huge new species of dinosaur we didn't know about before.
12. NASA's Twin Studies program found that space travel altered gene expression in twin astronauts.
13. We finally identified a mystery animal that seemingly defied all classification.
14. We found out turtles didn't always have shells.
15. The first effective male birth control pill may have been developed.
16. Astronomers discovered the brightest object in our universe...for now.
17. We found out that the moonfish is actually a warm-blooded, fish.
18. We discovered the earliest-known beer brewery in a cave in Israel.
19. Researchers were able to erase damage caused by Alzheimer's in a human brain cell.
20. We saw the first Canadian adult to receive a stem cell transplant be deemed sickle cell-free.
21. We reversed the aging process in mice, and might be able to do the same for humans.
It's the end of 2018, and we're looking back on the year. Check out more of our Best of 2018 coverage!