1. Apollo 11 launch, 1969
40 years ago today (The Big Picture has many more awesome images if you just want to geek out Space-style for the rest of the day.)
2. JFK Jr./Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy’s Plane Crash, 1999
10 years ago today. Oof. Sad. (More photos here.)
3. Catcher in the Rye published, 1951
58 years of duckless winters. (Via)
4. Romanovs Executed, 1918
All except Anastasia.
5. DC becomes the Nation’s Capital, 1790
Did you know that D.C. was built on a swamp so that everyone would want to leave in the summer, thus restricting the size/reach of the federal government? I read that once, it’s true.
6. Corey Feldman’s Birthday, 1971
Put on your party shoes.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Inside WikiLeaks: A former employee shares what he learned about Julian Assange (including his beef with Hillary Clinton).
- One week into the fight to take back Mosul, expectations for quick success have clashed with the reality of a bloody struggle ahead.
- Less than 24 hours after AT&T announced an $85 billion deal to buy Time Warner, politicians are expressing skepticism and opposition.
- An NFL player paid tribute to Harambe, the gorilla who died at a Cincinnati zoo, on his cleats.
Report an Issue
Drag to highlight one or more parts of the screen.
We got your feedback, and we'll follow up with you at
Sadly, an error occured while sending your feedback. Please contact email@example.com to let us know.