We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us their unpopular opinions about dating. Here are their controversial submissions:
1. "Never go to bed angry" is actually terrible advice.
"If you go to sleep angry and the issue is still bothering you the next day, it’s probably important enough to have a discussion about."
2. Marriage is so 2000 and late.
"I don't understand the concept of legally binding yourself to another person in modern times. I guess I just don't understand why it's even necessary anymore."
3. There's nothing wrong with moving fast, tbh.
"I don’t think there should be a stigma against living together early in a relationship. Every relationship works at its own pace, and we don’t need to judge what works for others."
4. If being single were so great, people would strive to be that way.
"People always say that relationships aren’t that great and that it’s better to be single, but no one tries to be single! Everyone is working toward being in a relationship."
5. Take your friends' advice when they talk shit about your S.O.
"Good friends want to make sure you're being treated well."
6. Couples who are very active on social media are overcompensating for something.
"People don’t need to know what you're doing every second of every day!"
7. Soulmates are as real as Big Foot.
"There's no such thing as a 'soulmate.' If there were, statistically speaking, with 7.5 billion people on earth, you'd almost definitely never find them."
8. Relationships are work, but they shouldn't be hard.
"So many songs and movies glorify the fiery, passionate lovers that fight all the time and make things hard for each other. Honestly, in real life, that gets tiring real fast."
9. You should check with your S.O. about every👏 single👏 thing👏.
"I think you should have clear and honest communication and consent on even small things, like 'Can I vent about my day for a minute?'"
10. People should rebrand themselves for their S.O.
"People really hate the idea of changing for someone, but it's an opportunity to unlearn some toxic behavior and become better alongside the person you love."
11. Monogamy is a sham.
"It's completely natural to want to be with another person without wanting to leave the person you're committed to."
12. Ghosting people is fine most times.
"I find nothing wrong with ghosting — unless you're already in a relationship."
13. Your crush is probably pretty lame.
"Don't date someone you have been crushing on for a long time. You're more likely infatuated with the idea of a relationship with that person instead of the actual person."
14. Having different politics doesn't mean you're not endgame.
"At the end of the day, it is about respecting each other enough that you can have your own views and opinions without it affecting your relationship."
15. The definition of cheating is subjective.
"Make sure that you are both clear on what constitutes cheating. If you consider watching porn as cheating, then you need to discuss it."
16. Bad-mouthing your boo means you don't love them.
"I get hate for always saying 'break up with them' when people complain about their partner. They’re obviously not happy if they feel the need to talk about them behind their back."
17. Dates are counterproductive.
"A date environment puts a layer of tension in the air, making it hard to actually get to know the person."
18. People in relationships should be allowed to be thirsty for other people.
"Restricting who your partner can and can’t follow on social media seems really unhealthy. Just because you’re in a relationship doesn’t mean other people stop being attractive."
19. You and your ex should never make a sequel.
"Once a relationship is over, it should be over. No looking back, and no need becoming friends."
Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.