19 TV Costume Details That Are So Damn Clever But Went Over A Lot Of People's Heads
Fashion really does make a statement.
🚨Warning: Spoilers ahead!🚨
1. After Beth Harmon becomes the world champion on The Queen's Gambit, her final outfit is her dressed like a white queen chess piece, down to the hat.
2. Also in The Queen’s Gambit, Beth often wears plaid or checks to reflect that chess is always on her mind.
3. In Season 3, Episode 8 of Stranger Things, Lucas and Max wear the same shirts as Donna and Eric from That '70s Show.
4. On the "Goodbye Michael" episode of The Office, Michael Scott walks through airport security while a long, red strand of yarn hangs from his pocket. It's Phyllis's unfinished mittens that she was working on for his going-away present.
5. On Jane the Virgin, every time Jane is going to be involved in a big, life-changing romantic event, she wears a yellow dress.
6. The pink dress Alexis wears the first time we see her in Schitt’s Creek is the same dress she gives to Twyla in the series finale.
7. On Breaking Bad, during the “I am the one who knocks” scene, Walter removes his shirt, revealing a darker-red shirt underneath to symbolize the increase of darkness in his character.
8. Also on Breaking Bad, ABQ residents briefly wear commemorative ribbons after the plane crash, but Saul wears his for a long time after indicating that he's trying to convince victims to join a civil lawsuit.
9. In the It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode "The Gang Gets Trapped," it seems that the group bought an Indiana Jones costume before breaking into the house but couldn't decide who should wear it, so they split it up. Charlie wears the jacket, Mac wears the hat, and Frank has the whip.
10. When Dwight becomes temporary manager on The Office, Andy starts wearing short-sleeved shirts, continuing his strategy of "personality mirroring" his bosses.
11. Throughout the first season of Euphoria, Jules slowly starts wearing darker, edgier, less feminine clothing, which reflects both her struggles and her dressing more for herself than for men.
12. In the Riverdale flashback episode that pays homage to The Breakfast Club, teenage Alice wears fingerless gloves like the ones Bender wore in the movie.
13. On Criminal Minds, Reid never wears a matching pair of socks because Matthew Gray Gubler thinks that matching socks are bad luck.
14. On The Haunting of Hill House, Olivia’s outfits change to reflect her growing madness and also come from the wardrobe of Poppy Hill, the ghost who haunts her.
15. On the Season 2 premiere of Broad City, there are two women on the subway who are dressed exactly the way Ilana and Abbi were in a Season 1 episode.
16. In Season 2 of Derry Girls, after Clare comes out, the Derry girls all wear rainbow pins in support, and it's never acknowledged by the characters.
17. In Episode 5 of The Wilds, Fatin wears clothes in flashbacks that the other girls are currently wearing on the island, because Fatin's suitcase was the only one to wash up on shore.
18. In an episode of Gravity Falls, Tyler can't decide between two shirts, and later on he's seen wearing the shirts sewn together.
19. And on the series finale of The Big Bang Theory, Penny wears the same shirt she wore in the very first episode.
Some of the submissions in this post have been sourced from Reddit.