Recently on Reddit, IBringTheGinger asked, "What's an American problem you're too European to understand?"
The replies poured in as non-Americans shared the things about America that they just don't understand. Here are some of the best responses:
1. "Huge gaps in the sides and bottoms of toilet stalls that people can see through."
2. "Registering to vote.
"As a Canadian, you're automatically enrolled when you turn 18 and get a notice where your polling station will be for every election."
3. "The TV ads for prescription medication always get me."
4. "That you can get fired just like that and have no income.
"In my country, if you are fired, your employer needs to pay you for at least three months after you were fired."
5. "The idolization of politicians.
"They are public servants, not rock stars. You don't need to scream their name, buy their merch, fully commit your life to them, and believe everything they say."
6. "Paying for an ambulance.
"Seriously, like, WTF?"
7. "Using a microwave instead of a kettle to make tea."
8. "The hypersexualization of nudity and nipples."
9. "Tipping servers at restaurants."
10. "Large food portions with a lot of fat and sugar."
11. "How desensitized they are to violence on TV and movies.
"I'm too European to understand how swearing and curse words are such a big deal in movies and songs, but violence and guns are taken with a grain of salt."
12. "People not using all of their annual vacation days.
"And you have so few. I get nine weeks and I still feel deprived."
13. "That tax isn't automatically added to price tags."
14. "Having limited sick days."
15. "Joining the Army for college money and free healthcare."
16. "Having massive student debt.
"I pay 20 euros per semester for tuition in Austria."
17. "The drinking age being 21.
"You can join the Army, get married, have children, and drive at a younger age, but you're too immature to drink???"
18. "Expensive required textbooks that you HAVE to buy to take a university class."
19. And finally, "Not having bidets."
Note: Entries have been edited for length and/or clarity.