32 Things About The "Dhoom" Franchise That You Probably Didn't Know
A boy robbed his uncle while dressed as Hrithik because Mr. A from "Dhoom 2" inspired him.
1. Uday Chopra who plays nitwit sidekick Ali borrowed his mannerisms from a guy he frequently saw hanging around a cinema hall in Mumbai.
2. Ali's full name, Ali Akbar Fateh Khan, is a nod to legendary qawwali singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.
3. The opening train sequence in Dhoom 2 which is shot in Namibia, Africa, was originally meant to be shot in Rajasthan.
4. No, that train sequence was not shot in hot, sweltering temperatures in Africa. It was as cold as 2° C . In the daytime!
5. Being in John's company, Abhishek had taken a liking for bikes and would zoom off in between takes. He wanted to buy one but his father, Amitabh Bachchan, dissuaded him.
6. John Abraham, who plays Kabir in Dhoom, executed the scene where his bike rides into a moving trailer HIMSELF. John's only instruction to the others around him was to swerve in case he fell. If they didn't, he would certainly be ridden over by them.
7. The cast of Dhoom 2 was ecstatic while shooting in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, as literally no one knew Hindi movie stars there and therefore, no one hounded them.
8. The song "Dhoom Again" from Dhoom 2 was shot over three days, with shoot on the last day stretching for more than nineteen hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. the next day).
9. Characters in Dhoom were assigned bikes according to their on-screen personalities. Therefore, a yellow bike to represent Ali's loveable, goofy character and dark red or gray ones for the gang members.
10. Aamir Khan trained for three days with tap dancers in Australia for the tap dance sequence in Dhoom 3.
11. Aditya Chopra was inspired to make Dhoom after watching the oldie Kaala Patthar. Incidentally, while Kaala Patthar stars Amitabh Bachan, the Dhoom series stars his son, Abhishek.
13. Bipasha Basu, who wore a bikini in Dhoom 2, ate only oranges for three days prior to filming for the scene.
14. Aamir Khan and Katrina Kaif did not use any safety precautions while doing the acrobatic stunts in Dhoom 3 for the song "Malang".
15. Hrithik Roshan and his then wife Sussanne Roshan laughed over the famous kissing scene he had with Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in Dhoom 2.
16. Aishwarya, on her part, later said that she was not comfortable doing the kissing scene with Hrithik. She also stated that she received legal notices over the controversial kissing scene.
18. Originally, Sanjay Dutt was signed on to play the role of Kabir in Dhoom, which was eventually played by John Abraham.
19. Composer Pritam had a difficult time during the making of the song "Dhoom Dhoom" as Tata Young could only pronounce it as "Doom" and not "Dhoom".
20. "Shikdum" was adapted from Tarkan's big hit "Sikidim" ("Hepsi Senin Mi?") from his 1994 album A-Acayipsin. In Turkish it means "dirty dancing".
21. John is a huge fan of professional motorcycle road racer Valentino Rossi. He gifted a CD of the film to him and Valentino reportedly liked the film.
22. The song "Dhoom Machale" is a fusion of two different songs. The first 3 lines have been adapted from Jesse Cook's "Mario Takes A Walk" and the hook has been directly adapted from Amr Diab's "Enta Ma Oltesh Leih" from his 2003 album Allem Alby.
23. "Dhoom Dhoom" by Tata Young was number one in various countries such as India, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and other Southeast Asian countries.
24. Dhoom 2 was dubbed simultaneously in Tamil as well as in Telugu. Singer Vijay Prakash dubbed for ACP Jai Dixit in Tamil.
25. Upon the release of Dhoom 2, there was an appeal by the Mumbai city police commissioner to censor the fast-paced rash driving scenes due to fears that it would inspire Indian youths to ride their motorcycles rashly, resulting in an increase in the number of road accidents.
26. Aishwarya Rai's character, Sunehri, was summarised as Catwoman, a female fictional comic book femme fatale or anti-hero.
27. Dhoom 2 inspired the robbery of a man by his nephew, who wore clothing similar to Hrithik's in the film while committing the crime.
28. The climax scene in Dhoom 3 was shot at the famous arch dam, Contra Dam in Switzerland. It is the same dam that became a popular bungee jumping venue after James Bond (played by Pierce Brosnan) jumped off it in the opening scene of the 1995 film GoldenEye.
29. Reportedly, Chopra wanted to make the film in 3D after observing the successes of previous Bollywood films released in the same format. However, Aamir Khan opined that the 3D technology needed expertise and was unsure of the outcome of its utilisation by the director.
30. Aamir said in a statement that the title track "Dhoom Machale Dhoom" of Dhoom 3 was dedicated to Sachin Tendulkar who was then playing his 200th and final test match at the Wankhede Stadium.
31. Dhoom 3 was accused of lifting many elements off Christopher Nolan's The Prestige and The Dark Knight.
32. A teaser poster for a fourth Dhoom movie, titled Dhoom Reloaded was released by YRF in 2015, which was rumored to have cast Shah Rukh Khan. But SRK himself dismissed it.