1. Crohn's disease is an inflammatory disorder that affects your gut, or any part of the digestive system.
2. Crohn's is not the same as colitis, although both are types of IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). And neither are the same as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).
3. There's no one reason why someone gets Crohn's disease.
4. Diagnosis takes time, and can be frustrating.
5. Crohn's doesn't just affect your tummy.
6. Diagnosis is different for everyone.
7. Everyday life requires a lot of planning.
8. Challenges come in unexpected ways.
9. Being far from a toilet comes with anxiety.
10. It becomes natural to hide symptoms.
11. Treatment can sometimes leave you feeling worse.
12. Surgery is a positive option for many people.
13. Support from friends and family is crucial.
14. The psychological impact is huge.
15. Living with Crohn's requires a huge amount of mental strength.
16. But life goes on.
Thanks to Crohn's & Colitis UK for their help with this piece.
Crohn's disease is a type of inflammatory bowel disease. Due to a typo, a previous version of this article said it was a type of irritable bowel disease.
Ailbhe Malone is a campaigns manager for BuzzFeed and is based in London.
Contact Ailbhe Malone at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.