1. Barter Books, Northumberland
2. Daunt Books, London
3. The Bookshop, Wigtown, Scotland
4. Octavia's Bookshop, Cirencester
5. The Book Barge, Staffordshire
6. Ross Old Book Shop, Ross on Wye.
Secondhand and antiquarian books, in a picturesque setting. And on Saturdays, there's a cake sale. So charming!
7. Madhatter Bookshop, Oxfordshire
This quirky shop sells both books and hats, and is utterly delightful. They're committed to hosting literary events, as well as "book clubs, literary study groups, break-into-books groups and creative engagement with GCSE and A level groups."
8. Hatchard's, London
9. Much More Books, Much Wenlock
A treasure trove of second-hand books, as well as vinyl and CD's. If you're in the area, you could also visit Wenlock Books , another wonderful independent bookshop.
10. Word On The Water, London
Based near Paddington station, you can float merrily on this Dutch barge, while checking out their selection of second hand stock. They also host readings and live music on their roof stage. Delightful!
11. Baggins Book Bazaar, Rochester
12. Scrivener's Books, Buxton
With five floors of books, this is a bibliophile's dream. And what's more, there are cosy sofas, and tea-making facilities. Wonderful.
13. Blackwell's books, Oxford.
Open since 1879, Blackwell's can serve all your bookshop needs. Seriously, if they don't have it, well, maybe it's not worth reading. If you won't be able to make it to Oxford soon, then take a virtual tour.
14. Honesty Bookshop at Hay Castle, Hay-on-Wye
15. Beware of the Leopard Books, Bristol
Named for a joke from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, this second-hand bookshop has a big selection. Perfect for rummaging.