This week on the new BuzzFeed podcast See Something Say Something, I talk to two youth literature authors, Hena Khan and Sara Farizan. We discuss their books and they give me some writing advice.
Off-air, I asked them to suggest a mix of classic and newer books for young folks (all the way up to college!) to read.
Sara Farizan is a Iranian American YA author who writes about being young and queer in America and Iran.
1. March by John Lewis
2. Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah
3. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
4. And as far as her own books, Sara recommends Tell Me Again How A Crush Should Feel.
Hena Khan writes books for young kids all the way up to young adults and is the author of It's Ramadan, Curious George.
5. Ruby's Wish by Shirin Yim Bridges
6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
7. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
8. And as for her own book, Hena suggests the upcoming Amina's Voice (available for pre-order now!).
9. And finally, a bonus Ahmed recommendation : The Taqwacores by Michael Muhammad Knight
How to listen to See Something Say Something
2. Or click the above embedded link to stream the show directly from this page.
3. Be sure to subscribe, so you never miss a new episode!
4. If you like the show, please rate and review it on iTunes. Questions? Comments? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.