On the premiere episode of Season 2 of See Something Say Something, we caught up with BuzzFeed News lawyer Nabiha Syed and culture writer Bim Adewunmi.
In a new segment called "Nabiha Please Fix My Life," we took questions from the BuzzFeed office and asked her about crossing the border, pattern mixing, and talking to old white men.
On to the advice!
1. When you're crossing the border, invoking the Fourth Amendment and your "rights" is not a magical formula to prevent Customs and Border Patrol from detaining you.
2. On border crossing, Nabiha said you can resist complying with things like excessive questioning and harassment, but it's probably only advisable if you have the privilege of US citizenship.
3. The legality of CBP asking for your passwords is pretty murky, but you probably don't have to give them up if you are a US citizen.
4. You can say "Do I have to answer that?" if you're asked any overly invasive questions you don't want to answer.
5. But also, if you just want to get home and watch Netflix, you do you! It's totally cool to just comply and get out.
6. Outside of the border, when you're stuck in a room with white men who want to ignore you, just pretend like they're from an alien planet and you'll do fine.
Listen to the entire "Nabiha Please Fix My Life" segment in the newest episode of See Something Say Something below. Also, in the same episode, check out a conversation with Bim about Mahershala Ali's Oscar win!
Here's how to listen:
1. If you’re on a mobile device, click this link in your native podcasting app.
2. Or, search for “See Something Say Something” in your podcast app of choice, like Overcast, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Acast, Apple’s built-in Podcast app, and more.
3. Be sure to subscribe, so you never miss a new episode!
If you like the show, please rate and review it on iTunes. Questions? Comments? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.