2. Michigan pretty much invented the modern weekend.
The two-day weekend has its origins in the Michigan labor movement and Henry Ford, who “gave his workers two days off back in the early 1900s, even though the federal government didn’t mandate the forty-hour work-week until 1938.”
4. Michiganders have a portable, always-available map that they have attached to their arms.
5. The Sleeping Bear Dunes have been named the Most Beautiful Place in America.
8. Michigan also has some of the best universities in the world.
15. Motown Records in Detroit was home to some of the most influential musicians ever: Diana Ross, the Temptations, Smoky Robinson, Marvin Gaye, the Jackson 5, and countless others.
The Hitsville, USA location has been converted into a museum, seen above.
19. Eastern Market has been serving fresh produce and food to the citizens of Detroit for over 170 years, making it the “largest and oldest market of its kind.”
23. Our sports teams have amazing legacies and fans.
…even if they don’t always win.
27. Superman ice cream can be found in pretty much every Michigan ice cream shop.
Mmm. Tastes like space and childhood.
29. …and Vernor’s, which is the oldest ginger ale in the United States.
Also, clearly the best.
30. The arrival of Lent is celebrated in the most glorious way possible: Paczki Day.
If you know how to pronounce that word, you’re either Polish or a Michigander.
32. Shatila in Dearborn has some of the best baklava in the United States and will ship massive trays of gooey, pistachio-laced goodness pretty much anywhere.
34. …but there’s also great public art, like the beautiful, eccentric thing that is Hamtramck Disneyland:
Hamtramck Disneyland is located in the backyard of Ukranian immigrant Dmytro Szylak, who built it entirely by himself.
35. In Saginaw County, you can find two of the most zany tourists locations in the United States: Frankenmuth, a small town whisked straight out of Bavaria…
The main attractions here are the cheese, chicken, and lederhosen.
- The Trump administration wants to send immigrants caught at the southern US border to Mexico even if they're not from the country.
- An off-duty Los Angeles police officer was caught on cellphone video firing at least one shot during a confrontation with several teens.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- A couple recently celebrated their engagement with a "La La Land" inspired photo shoot, and it's pretty cute 💍📷